Monday, February 10, 2014

The Water Diet, Day 8--Food coloring helps

It's been a week since I started drinking nothing but water (to be clear, I am still eating food!). And I feel pretty good. I don't know that I've lost any weight (I only got around to weighing myself for the first time since I began the experiment this morning). But I definitely feel better. Now, I'm not being a fundamentalist about this. I allow myself to drink club soda, or water with a slice of lemon or lime. Also, to ward off the monotony, I've found it helpful to add a couple drops of food coloring to a glass of water. (The psychological benefits of this are really surprising.)

I'm hoping to keep this up until I begin my book tour in early April. (More information about *that* coming up!)

Now that's I'm a water-only drinker, I seem to find articles about the benefits of drinking water everywhere. Here's one on Slate about the 19th century practice of "hydropathy," which led to the persistent (if unproven) belief that a person should drink at least 8 glasses of water a day. And here's one by the writer Ben Marcus about the benefits of a six-day "water fast." (That's much further than I'm willing to go right now.)

Another thing I've discovered: If you're drinking a lot of water all the time, it's better to drink it out of a cup or a glass, not a bottle. I don't know why, exactly, but drinking from a bottle all day is a drag.

By the way, Allyson is joining me on this experiment until the beginning of March (at least). Tomorrow she leaves for a three-day trip to Khovd, in western Mongolia. Let's hope she doesn't have any trouble finding bottled water there. (The baby, for the record, is not participating in this experiment!)