Friday, November 25, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving!

Wow, can’t believe it’s already Thanksgiving. Sorry I haven’t posted much lately. Between the bouts of heavy drinking and the hard work, who’s got the time? (Just kidding of course; I haven’t been working that hard.) ...

First, I have an update on the mystery of the fate of the Oneida, the yacht on which Grover Cleveland’s secret cancer surgery was performed. As I blogged about a few weeks ago, somebody sent me a picture they snapped last summer of a boat that looks an awful lot like the Oneida. It was exciting to think that the Oneida was still out there, since its ultimate fate is still unknown (to me, at least).

Well, this week I got an e-mail from somebody who thinks the yacht in that picture is actually
the Cangarda (built in 1901) – and I think he’s right:



Drats, I was really hoping I’d found the Oneida.

On the home front, it’s been getting colder and colder in Ulaanbaatar, but we’re adjusting. The other morning Allyson was getting ready for work when she asked me what the weather was like outside. I said, “Not too bad: four above.” (And that’s Farenheit, of course.) A couple weeks ago we went out to dinner and walked home in a temperature of nine below. That was pretty cold.

And the simple act of walking is complicated by the fact that the entire city is pretty much covered with a layer of ice, including the sidewalks. At least the snow makes the open manholes easier to see.