Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Sorry I haven’t posted much the past couple weeks. We’ve been busy with guests, work, planning my trip, etc. I leave for the States next Tuesday to begin my book tour. We’re still trying to line up events, but as of the moment I have 17 scheduled in May alone.

I’ve been watching a lot of coverage of the Abruzzo earthquake on Italian TV. It’s pretty incredible. Some smaller villages have been completely destroyed. Irreplaceable medieval buildings have been reduced to rubble. Not to mention the many lives lost.

Here in Rome we were sleeping when the quake struck early Monday morning. We slept right through it. Since then there have been a few aftershocks during the day that we’ve felt.

I’m still in a daze over my New York Times op-ed last Sunday. A few people have asked me how it came about, and the answer is, I was lucky. An op-ed page editor at the paper read the Publishers Weekly review and sent me an e-mail asking me if I wanted to write the piece. Since then, the book has been mentioned in a couple other blogs, so hopefully the buzz is building!