Monday, January 26, 2009

I was overwhelmed by the response to my last post: I received two e-mails suggesting other bizarre and/or nonsensical lyrics. To wit:

I got a lion in my pocket
And baby he’s ready 2 roar

--Prince, “1999”

Okay, the lion is obviously a metaphor for a penis. But, if that’s the case, why does he have a penis in his pocket in the first place? Does he have a hole in his pocket? Or is it somebody else’s penis? (Thanks to Phil.)

The only one for me is you, and you for me

--The Turtles, “Happy Together”

This is a neat bit of lyrical legerdemain. You think The Turtles are saying he’s the only one for her and she’s the only one for him. But they’re really just saying she’s the only one for him – twice. In both cases, she is “for” him. Whether this feeling is reciprocated is unrecorded. (Thanks to The Guv.)

No comments: