Friday, December 05, 2008

This weekend, Allyson and I are flying (one of those discount airlines) up to Germany to spend a few days where the climate (at least) is more Christmas-like than it is here in dreary, rainy Rome. Specifically we are going to Freiburg, a small city in the Black Forest with a famous Christmas market (or Weihnachtsmarkt). Those of you who were reading this blog back in 1985 might remember that Freiburg is also where I studied German that summer. Here I am with my classmates, apparently after some sort of traditional German beer-drinking marathon:


I don't know why I'm the only one seated, or why I thought it was a swell idea to wear that ugly black Yes sweatshirt over a white dress shirt. I think I might recall the names of three or four of my classmates in this picture, but that's about it. As for my German, what little I had managed to remember over the years has long since been supplanted by French and, now, Italian.

I don't remember much about Freiburg, either. This will be my first trip back since that summer. I can't believe it's been more than 23 years. Where has the hair gone?

No comments: