Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Sorry the updates have been infrequent, but we still don’t have Internet access at home. I have also been busy planning my book tour! My publisher has generously agreed to underwrite a promotional tour when Harry Truman’s Excellent Adventure is released next May. I will be re-tracing Harry and Bess’s route, so if anybody has any media contacts in Kansas City, St. Louis, Indianapolis, Columbus, Wheeling, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, New York, or Washington (or points in between), please pass them along. And if you live along that route, you are hereby warned: I may be “visiting” for a day or two!

(By the way, the book is already listed on Amazon.com. Never too early to pre-order!)

In other news…

Last weekend Allyson and I ran a 5K. Here we are with our friend Laura, who ran it with us:



(Thanks to Laura’s husband, Neil, who took the picture. He would’ve run it too, but he had to mind their dogs. At least that was his excuse.) I finished in about 34:15 (since it was “non-competitive” there was no official timing). Slower than my last 5K, but not too bad considering I hadn’t run at all since we got here. As usual, Allyson beat me.

What was really amazing, though, was the course: we ran past Circo Massimo (where they used to hold chariot races), the Roman Forum, and the Colosseum. At the Colosseum, tourists were lining both sides of the street, cheering us on. It was very cool…

I know I have fallen way behind on the Rome Bus Project, but more updates are coming soon, I promise…

For the next few days I will be living the life of a Phillies fan in Rome, either staying up very late (or getting up very early) to watch the World Series. Exactly where, I don’t know – we don’t have any TV reception yet, either…

No comments: