Friday, October 03, 2008


In an effort to get to know Rome (and to practice my Italian), and with a lot – a lot – of free time on my hands, I have decided that I will attempt to ride each and every one of the city’s 251 regular bus routes at least once while we are here.

Rome has a subway system, but it’s relatively small, and expanding it is difficult due to archeological considerations. So, more than in most major cities, residents of Rome rely primarily on buses for public transportation.

For six euros I purchased a Rome bus schedule and map, and for another 30 euros, I bought a monthly pass that gives me unlimited trips. (At the end of October I will reassess this grand experiment.)

It’s often said that a city is best appreciated by visitors when they live as the natives do. So that’s what I will be doing. I’ll be riding buses all day. Just like a real Roman. A real unemployed Roman.

Besides giving me a chance to explore the Eternal City from top to bottom, this exercise – the Rome Bus Project – will also supply badly needed material for the blog. Periodic updates will chronicle my progress and I will grade each route. Good news for you, dear reader! Stay tuned!

No comments: