Friday, April 18, 2008

Recently on the People’s Court – or maybe it was Judge Judy – a plaintiff – or maybe it was a defendant – said:

“On the day I had moved out I gave him a check.”

The word “had” in that sentence is, of course, completely unnecessary. I hear this extraneous “had” a lot on trashy daytime TV.

“I had went to the supermarket.”

Maybe the people who use it think they sound smarter by using an extra word. Maybe they’re just dumb. But it really bugs me, and it must stop posthaste.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Y'know, I've noticed this too. I'm puzzled by it, coming, as it usually does, from people who seem otherwise completely illiterate. It's as though they've accidentally mastered the past perfect tense, while having failed to master any of the simpler, more commonplace ones. It has the same effect on me as it would if the Defendent suddenly invoked the phrase "chiaroscuro" or namechecked Stravinsky in the middle of describing how his baby's mother got the car impounded for driving topless and drunk and without IN-surance on the way to apply for a job as a "dancer."

It's like a lilac blooming out of a bag of Cheetos. Only not real Cheetos, but the regional brand. In DC, if I recall, that would be Utz.

xo
guv