Thursday, April 03, 2008


Allyson and I took a stroll around the Tidal Basin here in Washington to see the cherry blossoms yesterday. (Allyson seems to believe we don’t do enough strolling.) According to what I’m about to cut-and-paste from Wikipedia, Japan gave 3,020 cherry trees as a gift to the United States in 1912 to celebrate the nations' then-growing friendship.

The trees are in “peak bloom” right now (says the Washington Post anyway). They are very pretty, and we did have a nice stroll around the basin to the Jefferson Memorial. For a Wednesday evening there were a lot of people out. There’s a bit of an is-that-all-there-is-to-it? quality to seeing the cherry blossoms. But at the same time it’s refreshing to see so many people coming out to just look at trees.

On an entirely different topic, allow me a few moments to discuss line management. I’m talking about the fact that some fast food restaurants – e.g., McDonald’s and Burger King – don’t have any sort of corral or whatever you call it to keep people in a single line while they wait for someone at the counter to take their order. (Wendy’s and Taco Bell usually have these corrals.)

Without the corrals the result is CHAOS! The McDonald’s across from the Rosslyn Metro stop here in D.C. is the absolute worst for this. This morning I was in need of a Fast Food Breakfast Sandwich, but when I went into the McDonald’s there was a mass of people standing around the counter, some waiting to place their orders, some (who had already placed their orders) waiting for their food. There are entrances to the “restaurant” on both sides of the counter, so people just keep filling up the counter area, looking for some semblance of a line, standing behind people who have already placed their orders – like I said TOTAL CHAOS! I went next door to Burger King – SAME THING. I turned around and came home and did what I should have done in the first place: made my own breakfast sandwich at home. It’s not exactly a secret recipe. Anyway, I don’t know why McDonald’s and Burger King don’t have corrals. I’m sure they’ve done studies that found people like the “freedom” of not being corralled like cattle. But that’s baloney. What good is freedom if the result is CHAOS? TOTAL CHAOS!

1 comment:

Howard said...

RE: McDonald's chaos.

You may have to toughen up a bit.