Saturday, September 22, 2007

I'm in Merrillville, Indiana, which is about an hour south of Chicago. Staying at a Holiday Inn "Express," which means everything is smaller than it is at a regular Holiday Inn - except the price.

It seems a team of Under-16 soccer players has just checked in. They are currently running up and down the hall screaming. Oh those ruffians!

Yesterday I spent the day in Indianapolis with a delightful woman named Clair Clark. Clair's father, a Democratic Party bigwig named Frank McKinney, was a good friend of Harry Truman's, and Harry and Bess spent the night at the McKinney house on their way back to Independence back in '53. Clair showed me some of the letters Harry had sent her father. In one he says, "You can call me 'Harry'" (instead of "Mr. President").

The trip is going well. I'm getting a lot of research done. But it hasn't been a lot of "fun" - mostly work.

No comments: