Sunday, July 08, 2007

Much to my surprise, there were two offers for my book last week. The proposal had been circulating for more than two months, and I had practically given up hope. Fortunately, my agent hadn't.

I have accepted an offer from Chicago Review Press, a small publisher with a good reputation for publishing "quirky" books - the kind I want to write.

Now, after convincing myself that I didn't want to write the damn thing anyway, I am throwing myself back into the project. I will return to the States soon to begin doing research.

For those who don't already know, the book is about a road trip that Harry and Bess Truman took by themselves shortly after leaving the White House in 1953. Unaccompanied by Secret Service agents, bodyguards, or attendants of any kind, they drove from their home in Independence, Missouri, to the East Coast and back again. Along the way they stayed in a cheap motel, crashed with friends, ate at roadside diners - even got pulled over for careless driving on the Pennsylvania Turnpike. More generally, the book is about life in 1950s America and the development of the modern ex-presidency. I'm looking forward to writing it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you type fast. I -really- want to read it.


xo,
Guv

Carol said...

And I'm looking forward to reading it. Quirky is good. xc

Youssouf said...

I just start feeling the thrill in it already. I love this kind of history...

Carol said...

Just a thought, Matt, but maybe Bill Bryson could write the forward for your book? He's a travel maven and his most recent book recounts his life growing up in the 50s. He's a big name....couldn't hurt. Working title: Travels with Bess.....................? c

your friend at The Company said...

Do not include the incident when, in a drunken rage, Harry punches Bess at a PA turnpike Howard Johnson's.