Tuesday, March 06, 2007

The mosquitoes are horrible right now. One got inside the netting around our bed last night and bit me a couple times before I finally woke up around four a.m. with two huge welts on my arm. I moved to the couch, but within minutes I heard that high-pitched buzzing in my ear – another mosquito. It was like some kind of sleep-deprivation experiment. Actually, it was more like torture. We asked the State Department’s exterminator in Washington – yes, the State Department has an exterminator – about the problem, and he e-mailed back and said we should remove all standing water from around the house. Fair enough, but we live on a river – the Niger River, to be precise – which at this time of year is basically a swamp. Kind of hard to remove that.

Meanwhile, our extremely neurotic cat Copernicus (a.k.a. Mr. C) began obsessively licking a spot on his back over the weekend. We have no idea why. He’s just weird. So we put one of those cones on his head (which we’d saved from the last time he obsessively licked himself). Well, he kept trying to lick the spot and eventually rubbed his chin raw on the cone. So now he has a sore on his back and one on his chin. The vet (Dr. Boubacar - pronounced "boob-uh-car" - love that name) is coming over on Friday to take a look at him. I’m hoping he prescribes some feline tranquilizers or something.

4 comments:

guv said...

For you, or for Mr. C?

Kristen said...

Does your couch have a mosquito net?

malgeo said...

Believe me guv, I've considered the benefits of taking feline tranquilizers! ... No kristen, the couch does not have mosquito net. Usually it's better to sleep without a mosquito net than to sleep inside one with a mosquito trapped inside with you. I think they should just put a mosquito net over the whole house - or maybe the whole city.

Anonymous said...

Wasn't there a period in which you were obsessively licking yourself?