Wednesday, February 07, 2007

True story: I went into a McDonald's once and detected some kind of commotion back in the kitchen – or that place near the microwaves that passes for a kitchen in a McDonald’s. Two young women were engaged in an animated discussion. I couldn’t make out the nature of their Socratic Dialogue, but at one point I clearly heard one of them blurt out to the other, “But girl, look how pink it is!” This, to me, raised all sorts of uncomfortable questions. I don’t know whether they were talking about something on the menu or a delicate matter of personal hygiene, but, whatever the source of said pinkness, it was the kind of thing you just don’t want to hear in a fast food restaurant – or any restaurant, for that matter – especially from the employees responsible for food preparation. It made me glad I’d only ordered a cup of coffee.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Omigod. I LOVE the "girl look how pink it is story!" Ah, memories.

xo,
Guv

Mitch Teich said...

Okay, another McDonald's story. Summer, 1988. The McDonald's at the Vince Lombardi Service Area on the New Jersey Turnpike. There's a stack of VHS copies of the movie "Hoosiers" on the counter, with no sign, no explanation, nothing. We're safely far, very far, from Indiana, and probably a year after the movie was released on video. So I thought it warranted a simple question.

"Why are there have ten copies of Hoosiers on the counter?"

" 'Cause we selling them - that's why."

Clearly, not as potentially bacteria laden as a pink thing in the kitchen, but almost as baffling.