Saturday, October 28, 2006

Allyson and I had our first golf lesson Friday afternoon. It was a steamy 96 degrees, and the instructor didn’t speak English, but we still managed to enjoy ourselves. Allyson hit the ball pretty well, and by the end of the lesson I was putting the ball on the green pretty consistently from 75 yards away (much to my surprise). Our next lesson is in two weeks. … Friday night was Halloween for the kids at the American school here. We probably had a hundred or more trick-or-treaters, mostly American kids, but some Canadian, French, and Dutch as well. The Malian kids in our neighborhood seemed confused by the whole enterprise at first, but they figured things out pretty quickly, and by the end of the night they had all stopped by our house for their treats. Some had even managed to fashion costumes. … My agent has given me the go-ahead to work on a new book proposal. The story involves Harry Truman, so I will have to go to the Truman Library in Independence, Missouri (near Kansas City) to do some research, probably for two or three weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas. If anybody knows anybody in that area who might be willing to rent me a room while I’m there, please let me know!

No comments: