Thursday, August 03, 2006

Literally is literally one of my favorite words, especially when it’s misused. Just last week on “Dr. Phil” (Monday through Friday at 0800 GMT on AFN), a woman said of her divorce, “It’s literally tearing the children apart.” Ouch! Now that is a nasty divorce. Then, last weekend on ESPN, I happened to catch a few minutes of a bass fishing tournament (my viewing options are obviously quite limited), during which one of the announcers described one of the competitors as “literally the Tiger Woods of bass fishing.” I’m not sure what to make of that one. I mean, to literally be the Tiger Woods of anything, don’t you have to be, uh, Tiger Woods? (And the guy he was talking about was definitely NOT Tiger Woods, though I bet Tiger would be a pretty good fisherman if he tried.) But my all-time favorite misuse continues to be something I heard during a Cleveland Browns game on TV many years ago. In describing the Browns’ rabid fans, one of the announcers said: “They literally wear their hearts on their sleeves.”

1 comment:

Yer Guvnah said...

Greetings from the Pacific Northwest, where I quite literally miss you.